Sunday, December 07, 2008

Lost and Found
On Friday evening, December 5, Robin and I went to the movies. As we walked to the car I found a Cannon PowerShot SD750 7.1 mega pixels camera that had been run over by a car and in the rain. I picked it up before it was hit again but could not find the owner. It was raining so I thought someone was picking a person up so they would not get wet and the camera must have been dropped when they were getting into the car and imagined that the owner was well on the way home without realizing the loss. The 3" LCD screen was broken but all the rest seemed to work. It contained a 2g SD card with pictures of these two people with their son and family members getting ready for the Christmas holiday season. I could find no contact information. I left a messages at the movie and mall offices.

It reminded me that four years ago I purchased my first USB Flash Drive. It was purple plastic in an oval shape with a removable cap on the connector. I was so excited to have one and it could hold 128 mb of data. I could carry all my data files with me in my pocket and was able to open them on just about any computer that had a USB slot. I presented session at the NCETC, an educational technology conference in North Carolina. It was the year there was a major snow and ice storm. In the evening, the hotel lost power and I remember packing everything and loading up the car the next morning in the dim morning light so I could check out and head home. Little did I know that I must have dropped my USB flash drive. At that point in time, few folks knew about this type of device. I called the Drury Inn after arriving home and discovering the lost item but they said they could not find anything with that description in the lost and found. There was no personal identification information anywhere on or in the USB drive. I kept kicking myself for not having any contact identification indicated.

I learned a hard lesson during that event. From that point on, I always create a text file that I load on every digital card, mp3 player, portable hard drives, etc. I have. I open notepad, a text editor, in Windows and type in my name and contact information then save the file as If_Found_Return_To-Glenn_Gurley.txt.

If Found Return to Glenn Gurley
Please Call: 704-458-5702 or
E-Mail: glenngurley@gmail.com

This information makes it possible for a person to return a lost memory card. Contact me if you know the people that are on this post. I would like to return the camera and memory card.

2 comments:

Kinsey said...

Hi Mr. Gurley,
You may not remember me, but I was one of your students at MHMS. My name is Kinsey (Carrigan) Helms. I came across your blog somehow, and thought to myself, "I know him!"
I see that you have a grandson now, he shares the exact birthdate of my daughter, Sydnie (11/21/07).
I hope you are doing well.
-Kinsey

Glenn A. Gurley Jr. said...

Hey Kinsey,
I do remember you! Glad you came across my blog and it is good to hear from you. Great news about your daughter and my grandson having the same birthday. He was born at Caromount in Gaston County. They live close to us so I am able to spend time every week with him. Perhaps you checked out their blog... a great way to share and record them growing up. Keep in touch!
Glenn