Sunday, July 27, 2014

Mobile Device Document Camera Stands


I use mobile devices in schools and during seminars.  I have found that a mobile device document camera can be useful, especially when a dedicated document camera is not available.  Devices can be projected using VGA/HDMI adaptersApple TV, Chromcast, and AirServer and Reflector software.   I put the document stands I make on white surfaces and use sheets of color 8" x 11" paper so I know where to place the object I want to project.


Top view of document camera, 14" wire grid, and zip ties with cutter. 

I have some storage units in my garage composed of cubes made of 14" metal wire squares.  There are corner connectors that hold them together.  A few years ago I purchased two sets at yard sales for a few bucks each.  However, some of the connectors were missing so I had eight single squares.  Using zip ties and some plastic clippers I connected four pieces to make my first my first homemade document camera.    


Once again when I went yard sale shopping yesterday,July 26, 2014, I found the unit above that was missing all but eight connectors.  I purchased it since I knew I could make three document stands.  It also included five cloth boxes, all for $3.00. When I arrived home I discovered the grid sizes were different that the white ones in my garage.



I now have three different grid sizes in the 14" frames.  The white is 9 x 9 and blacks 5 x 5 and 8 x 8. 


 I found that when using the corner connectors I only need three frames.  Smaller grid sizes on the sides and the larger on the top so the iPad can be moved without a grid line blocking the view.  It is easily disassembled and stored when not needed.

3 comments:

Noelle Van Der Meid said...

I love this! Inexpensive and it can fold up when not in use! My kids and I will love this! ~ off to Walmart! Thanks so much Glenn! You need to stop by this year - I have 15 Chromebooks through the GCS Pinnacle Project and would love to have you!

Glenn A. Gurley Jr. said...

Thanks Noelle... I will stop by during the work days.

Wholesale Android Phones said...

Truly an innovative design, its simple and easy to use. If you want you could visit Ogasta.com for more mobile devices accessories.