Sunday, July 24, 2011

Summer Sport - Controlling Cicada Killer Wasp



A few years back, it looked like my yard had several large ant hills but on closer examination the dirt was pulled out of a hole to a burrow about the diameter of a quarter.  There were also lots of fast flying insects all around.  At first I thought they were hornets, they looked mean and just knew they would sting me if I got in their way.  I was wrong.  This morning I took my camera outside and took all these pictures to tell about this creature that annually invades my yard.


After doing some online research, I discovered that the insect was the eastern cicada killer wasp (Sphecius speciosus).   Each year they come back around the time the cicadas start making noises which seem to be around the middle part of July.  Pictured below is a cicada  that I found a female cicada killer wasp carrying.



 The female cicada killer wasp is larger than the male and is shown here shortly after her landing carrying a paralyzed annual cicada (Tibicen linnei) back to her burrow.  


I found that she puts it in a nest cell, lays an egg on it, and then seals the cell.  A grub will hatch from the egg in a few days, eat the cicada, and overwinter underground in a hard cocoon which it weaves. It will pupate in the spring, hatch in July or August, dig its way to the surface, and live above ground for 2-6 weeks before it dies.  


I spend time discovering ways to exterminate these creatures since they make major hills of dirt on my lawn.  I have tried to fill the holes with insulation foam which did not help so have never done that again.  I have tried to used wasp spray which with the wasps speed makes it very difficult to hit them with the stream of insecticide.  I finally discovered what works best for me.  I have two main pieces of equipment, scissors and a badminton racket.



I swat the badminton racket trying to hit a flying wasp.  I found that if I miss I keep on swinging and sometimes hit it on another pass since sometimes the wasp seem to be attracted to the movement.  I can hear when I hit a wasp.  I have the scissors to cut the wasp in half it I find it.

In the early mornings I find the females digging out their borrows. I spray insecticide down the hole the wait for a few seconds for the female to come out then I cut her in half with scissors.  
Below is a picture of a male cicada killer wasp.  A female can be twice the size of a male.  I hope that sometime I will be able to exterminate these so they don't come back year after year.


Update!  I went to Walmart on July 30,2012 and purchased a new tool I hope will be an excellent addition to my arsenal, a Bug Zapper racket for $7!  It takes two double A batteries and it has a button you press as your swing that runs electricity through the metal grids.   It kills the wasp on contact.

4 comments:

Steven Mauney said...

Fascinating! Nice report and great pics!

-steven

Betsy said...

Very cool Daddy! This made me laugh!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing.. I have so many nest around my yard.. And always wonder ed what they carry into there home.. I have killed so many with Wasp and hornet spray. Which kills them right away. I always catch them entering there nest. Thankyou.

jacobsonbob said...

The cicada shown by itself in one photo is Neotibicen lyricen engelhardti, recognized by its nearly black coloration and the curious anchor-like marking on the prothorax.